Teriyaki Sauce - A Lure for The Japan Relief Effort

Teriyaki

On March 11th Japan was hit by a devastating 9.0 magnitude earthquake. It is said to be the most powerful known earthquake to hit Japan and in the top 5 strongest earthquakes ever recorded.

If this wasn't enough there were aftershocks and tsunami waves that reached nearly 130 feet ( almost 40 meters). This then caused damage to the Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant.

As you can imagine, this one natural disaster alone has caused much heartache and destruction. I was lucky enough to not know anyone that was directly affected by this event, but have felt a terrible sadness for anyone who did or was effected.
This caused me to feel the need to lure people here with a teriyaki recipe. A lure of food to help bring attention to a few great people who are doing something to help and you get something great out of it besides the warm fuzzy feeling of doing something good!
Peko Peko Charity Cookbook



Peko Peko: A Charity Cookbook for Japan is a collection of nearly 50 family friendly Japanese and Japanese-inspired recipes published by Blurb, 100% of the profits of which will be donated to charity relief in Japan.


TheNudieFoodies.comYou can help us help Japan by purchasing a Nudie Foodie book which will be available soon through blurb.com. All profits will be donated to a charity (tbd) committed to the Japan relief effort. Our book features 18 cover model-caliber food bloggers peeling it off for Japan. Each blogger showcases a recipe in the book, and each nudie image features ingredients from those recipes.

The last link I have for you doesn't have a fancy badge for me to show you. It links to Matt over at Wrightfood. He has put together a fantastic food photography manual just to help raise donations for the Japan relief efforts. There is both a hardback version as well as a digital version.
I wrote a short book on food photography. It covers everything you need to know to get yourself taking great food photos in your house. Examples of how to use scrims, bounce cards, natural light, artificial light. Everything to get you going.

Now here's my contribution. It's just a recipe to lure you here to go to those places. I'm hoping that it worked!

Traditional Teriyaki Recipe
  • 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup sake wine (or rice wine vinegar)
  • 2 tablespoons mirin wine
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
In a small pan, mix together all the ingredients. Place over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved completely.

If you would like, add some grated fresh ginger, garlic, or sesame oil to the mix.

Teriyaki is great as a marinade or as a basting sauce on meats, fish, or make it vegetarian by putting it on mushrooms or just mixing it with some rice!

Traditional Teriyaki on Foodista

8 comments:

Yuri said...

I ordered Wrightfood's book last week :D you're so funny, "luring" readers with teriyaki sauce. I will also order Peko Peko and how could I not get nudie foodies? I think the blogging community is fabulous for doing this. Not everything is lost :)

Rochelle said...

I love that they are doing it. I plan to get all 3 as well. I just hope that the shipping won't kill me... maybe the other 2 will do the e-book thing as well :)

penny aka jeroxie said...

Will have to check out this nudie foodie~

Jenn @LeftoverQueen said...

Your photos are just beautiful!

Cristina said...

I love your photography and now you have me craving teriyaki. =)
Thank you for sharing some of the relief efforts. I hope to purchase Wrightfood's hardcopy book (need to wait until end of month).

sensiblecooking said...

Luring foodies with this wonderful recipe and for very heart touching cause.I am lured. Sharing your link in facebook and tweeting it right away.

Rochelle said...

Fantastic, Thank you :)

Rochelle said...

Thank you! I would also get the hardcover of it but I think the cost of shipping over to Portugal would be more than the cost of the book.

 

Flickr