Inspiring Minty Peach Plum Gelado

Minty Peach Plum Gelado

I've been away from blogging for over a month now. I've missed it, even as much as it can frustrate me. I felt a lack of inspiration and that means I felt a bit depressed and it's hard to get myself to get to work and create when that happens. Creating is one of the things I enjoy doing most, whether it be a new recipe, setting up a good photograph, or just writing a good post. But if there is no inspiration there can be no creation.
I feel inspired by many things, food being a big one, and a beautiful photograph can be another. However, my inspiration can take a nose dive when I feel I'm not doing as well as I think I should, and for someone who has high standards for themselves, that means I get frustrated often.

I want to better myself. Make it so that people want to come visit Acquired Life for what I have to share and enjoy it, not just take a quick skim over the text and photos before leaving a hasty comment at the bottom before running off to the next blog. I want people to enjoy my writing, my photos and my recipes. I want to hear that my recipes are tried or have inspired others to make their own (I love those comments!). I want to know that my photos are good enough that someone will take the time to actually look at it and not just glance at it. And I want to have someone see what I write about my new home and say to themselves, "I HAVE to visit Portugal! It's so beautiful/ full of culture/interesting/(enter fantastic adjective here).
Minty Peach Plum Gelado

In order for me to do that though, I have to have inspiration. I have to learn to let things go when I don't live up to my expectations or I get something rejected. I have to learn to not let it frustrate me, and learn to try again, and make it better than the last time.

This gelado (that's right with a "d" not a "t" because we are in Portugal and that's how it's spelled here) is one of the things that are born from inspiration. All I had were ripe plums and peaches that desperately needed to be turned into something. And this is what came out. Hopefully it will inspire you to make something similar or you'll be inspired to create something of your own.
Minty Peach Plum Gelado

Minty Peach Plum Gelado
  • 3 ripe peaches, peeled and seeded
  • 10 (or so) ripe plums, peeled and seeded
  • 1 cup (250ml) plain non-fat yogurt
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
  • 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
  • 4 mint leaves (optional)
In a freezer safe bowl break down the fruit with your fingers, or by using a food processor/immersion blender.

Mince 2 leaves of mint and add it to the bowl.

Pour in the yogurt, cream and sugar and whisk together well.

Place in the freezer for approximately an hour. The sides should have started to freeze and become firm. Take the whisk and beat the frozen ice crystals into the rest of the gelado.  Repeat 4 or 5 times, or until the liquid isn't so much liquid and more of a rough grainy consistency. Allow to freeze completely. Be careful not to freeze it too hard or it'll be a pain to get some scoops out.

When gelado is at desired firmness, scoop out and place a couple of mint leaves on top and enjoy!

Note: For more tartness and less sugar, reduce sugar to 1/2 a cup or even down to 1/4 cup. Also add more mint leaves if you enjoy mint!

5 comments:

Isabelle @ Crumb said...

Welcome back! And what a gorgeous gelado that is. I could just dive into a bowl of that right about now. :)
BTW, I know what you mean about feeling uninspired or that your work isn't up to your standards. I've learned that sometimes you just need to push through and post it anyways... sometimes you'll be surprised to discover that what you thought wasn't good enough turns out to be someone else's favourite. It's like the saying goes - one man's trash is another man's treasure. :)

Rochelle said...

Thank you Isabelle! I appreciate that, and you are so right about the "one man's trash is another man's treasure." I just have to keep positive, and with people around like you, it makes it much easier!

Yuri said...

PS. That gelado looks really good!

Yuri said...

Hey Rochelle! I think blogging is about sharing your recipes/photos/thoughts with the world and nothing else. My photos are terrible compared to some food blogs but that doesn't make me feel bad, I am learning and recently got my first dSLR because I enjoy food blogging and want to get better at this. I am super busy these days [new job] and try to write at least a post a week just to keep my blog updated. I know what you say about people commenting in a rush [hate when ppl ask or say something that tells me they didn't even read my post] but I appreciate the effort of trying to be "nice" to me. At the end, it makes me happy to see my blog and my recipes there to share with my friends who don't even comment because they don't blog and just go for my recipes. Hope you find inspiration and just do what your heart tells you, there's no point in doing something if you're not happy with it. XOXO

Rochelle said...

Thank you Yuri! I appreciate the comments too, just would like it to be for more than just being nice, but because they can relate or enjoy the post like you're comments. I also have to remember that this blog is for me first and everyone else second, and if it makes me happy then to do it :D.

 

Flickr