Eggs Royale


I don't know about you, but I talk to myself. Usually it's in my head in the form of an inner dialog where no one can judge me. Often times it's about the food that I'm in the process of cooking.


When I have my inner dialog, I think about the times back when I learned to cook a certain dish and I contemplate how it's different now. Or how it would have been back in the “good ol' days” (at 30... nothing is really all that old, but still...). I also imagine what I'm going to write about said food.

I imagine how the words will flow from my fingers through the keyboard and onto my screen and then how it will be interpreted by those who read or view the photos. It may sound a bit self involved, but that's what a blog is for, right?

Eggs Royale

I also wonder how after 6 months, people will perceive what I have to say/show them. My hiatus from the blogging/social world has been a long one. This doesn't mean I haven't been writing recipes or taking photos of drool-worthy food. It's just been all work and no play.

I'm hoping to rectify that by making this place as much a part of my life as it used to be, and I'm starting it with this; Eggs Royale.

The original Eggs Benedict is a toasted English muffin, topped with a crispy edge ham or bacon and topped with a poached egg and the completely decadent Hollandaise sauce. Now this is all well and good, but I wanted something more. I wanted the silky smooth and subtle smokey flavor of smoked salmon instead.

This turns the fantastic thing that is a Benedict into a Royale.

Eggs Royale Eggs Royale: Salmon
Eggs Royale
Eggs Royale: Salmon Eggs Royale

And since this was lunch, a few other things got changed around to accommodate for it like fresh Portuguese bread buns lightly toasted instead of the muffin and a saute of crispy edged mushrooms, browned onions and sweet peppers. But the thing that stayed true was the poached egg that when punctured, oozes yolk on top of the layers and the creamy lemon of Hollandaise that brought it all together.

It was good. So good it was impossible not to share. So here you go, enjoy!

Eggs Royale
Eggs Royale
Serves: 4

Hollandaise sauce
  • 5.5 oz (156g) unsalted butter
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon cold water
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • salt
  • black/pink/white/green peppercorn mix, freshly ground
Heat butter in a small sauce pan over low heat, allowing it to melt completely. Continue to let the butter simmer until no more foam seems to be forming at the top. Skim the foam from the top of the butter and set the pan aside. (You can strain it through a mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth to remove any foam that was missed, but you don't have to.)

Bring a small pot of water, to a boil on the stove. Do not fill it completely, as it shouldn't touch the bottom of the bowl when it's placed on top.

Reduce heat to low and allow water to simmer.

In a glass or stainless steel, heat proof mixing bowl, whisk together the yolks and the cold water for 1-2 minutes or until frothy. Place the bowl on the pot of simmering water and whisk continuously for 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Remove the bowl from the pot and gradually, about a couple teaspoons at a time, pour in the warm butter, again whisking continuously.

After all the butter has been added, whisk in the lemon juice and season with salt and ground pepper. Continue to whisk until thickened.

When done, the sauce should be thick but smooth. If you prefer a thinner sauce, add more lemon juice or room temperature water a teaspoon at time and whisk until well incorporated

Poached eggs
  • 4 eggs
  • water
  • ½ tablespoon vinegar
  • pinch of salt
Bring a few inches of water in a pot to a simmer. Add in vinegar and a pinch of salt.

Break egg into a small bowl and reduce heat of water to low. Once water has reduced to a very hot temperature, but not simmering, stir it with a spoon in one direction to create a whirlpool. Drop the egg into the water and allow it to cook for a 2-3 minutes, or until slightly firm on the outside and still soft on the inside. Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg from the pot and place it on a paper towel to allow it to drain of excess water.

Note: You can find an excellent step-by-step photo post on how to poach an egg over at smitten kitchen.

Eggs Royale: yolk

Eggs Royale
  • 6 mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • ½ red bell pepper, sliced
  • ½ onion, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • pinch of salt
  • olive oil
  • 2 Portuguese bread buns, cut in half and lightly toasted
  • 6 oz (170g) smoked salmon
  • Poached eggs (see above)
  • Hollandaise sauce (see above)
  • salt and peppercorn mix to taste
  • cilantro or parsley (optional)
Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic to the pan and allow the edges of the mushrooms to brown, stirring occasionally. Add in the bell pepper and onion and stir together until onions have browned and peppers have softened. Season with a pinch of salt.

Assemble the eggs royale by placing the bread on a plate with the toasted cut side up. Top with mushroom/onion/pepper mixture, smoked salmon and then poached egg. Cover with Hollandaise sauce and season with salt, freshly ground pepper and cilantro or parsley for garnish.

11 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

Welcome back :) We've missed you. Looking forward to following along your adventures again!

Unknown said...

Thank you Mardi! I've missed you and the whole food loving world :) I'm also looking forward to sharing again.

Anonymous said...

I'm no fan of eggs benedict, but this looks too good to be missed! I'm pretty sure my manwich-lovin of a husband would enjoy this. I'm so glad to have found your site in time for your return! :)

Unknown said...

I'm glad you found me too! If you don't like the egg or the hollandaise sauce, just turn it into a sandwich instead :D

sugar steps said...

Nice and inspiring blog, lovely pictures!

penny aka jeroxie said...

Welcome back to blogging! Looking forward to more sharing. :)

Isabelle said...

Welcome back! Your dreamy photos were sorely missed... hopefully we'll be seeing more of you now! :)
This recipe looks absolutely lovely, and I love the idea of serving it on a bed of sauteed mushrooms and peppers. I think this might be the incentive I need to finally figure out how to poach eggs... I'm terrible at it right now!

Mushrooms Canada said...

What a fantastic recipe to come back to the world of blogging on! It's absolutely beautiful. thanks for sharing and welcome back!

-Shannon

Unknown said...

Thanks Isabelle! If you try it, you have to let me know how it turns out :)

Unknown said...

Thank you Shannon! I'm so glad to be back and feel so inspired that I can't wait to put up a new post.

Christal said...

This is cool!

 

Flickr